Frenchman dies after shooting in Libya's Benghazi

12th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

A Frenchman died in a hospital in Libya's rebel-held second city Benghazi on Thursday after having been brought in with gunshot wounds, a doctor said.

"Around 2 am (2400 GMT Wednesday) a French citizen wounded by bullets in the abdomen was brought to us. We tried to revive him several times... but he died," Dr Shawg Najem said at Jalaa hospital.

Neither European diplomatic and military sources, nor rebel officials, were immediately able to provide any details on the incident.

Former French soldiers have been in Benghazi seeking work as private security officers. Rumours were circulating all day on Thursday that some of them had been kidnapped the night before.

AFP made enquiries of Secopex, their employer, but sources there could not confirm the rumours, nor shed any light on the shooting.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article