French ‘serial killer’ quizzedabout woods burials

1st July 2004, Comments 0 comments

DONCHERY, France, July 1 (AFP) - French police questioned a 62-year-old forestry worker in Belgium on Thursday before starting to dig in the heavily wooded Ardennes border region for the bodies of six young girls he has confessed to murdering, a state prosecutor said.

DONCHERY, France, July 1 (AFP) - French police questioned a 62-year-old forestry worker in Belgium on Thursday before starting to dig in the heavily wooded Ardennes border region for the bodies of six young girls he has confessed to murdering, a state prosecutor said.

Michel Fourniret, who was arrested in Belgium in June last year on charges of kidnapping and sexual misconduct, "is being questioned by French police in Belgium and the hearing will go on into the afternoon," the prosecutor for the French city of Reims, Yves Charpenel, told reporters.

"Once as we have details about the disappearances, we will start digging as soon as possible,"  Charpenel added.

On Wednesday, Fourniret, who is French, confessed to "six murders of girls" in Belgium and France between 1987 and 2001, according to Anne Thily, the prosecutor in the Belgian city of Liege.

But Thily said Fourniret could be responsible for the deaths of as many as "about a dozen" victims, several of whom were believed to be buried near a castle here.

© AFP

 

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article