French nationals in Mumbai attacks rescued

28th November 2008, Comments 0 comments

The French foreign minister said about 20 French citizens trapped at Mumbai’s Oberoi/Trident Hotel have been freed.

28 November 2008

PARIS – Some 20 French nationals and an Air France crew trapped at Mumbai's Oberoi/Trident Hotel have been rescued after attacks that killed at least 130 people, the French foreign minister said Friday.

"We have recovered the Air France team and around 20 French people, who have gone to the (French) consulate... they are safe and well," Bernard Kouchner told France Inter radio.

But he said there could still be other French nationals trapped in the hotels, because security force operations to free guests were ongoing.

There were no reports of any French being injured in the attacks, said Kouchner.

The French ambassador to India earlier Friday announced that a 15-strong Air France crew trapped in the hotel had been freed.

The Oberoi/Trident was one of two five-star hotels seized by gunmen late Wednesday, after a series of militant strikes across the city.

More than 36 hours after the brazen assault, security forces were carrying out what they called "mopping up" operations at the two hotels.

[AFP / Expatica]

0 Comments To This Article