French judicial investigation into Madrid blasts

4th May 2004, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, May 4 (AFP) - Paris prosecutors have opened a preliminary judicial investigation into the March 11 bombings in Madrid that killed 191 people, including one French national, court sources said Tuesday.

PARIS, May 4 (AFP) - Paris prosecutors have opened a preliminary judicial investigation into the March 11 bombings in Madrid that killed 191 people, including one French national, court sources said Tuesday.

The inquiry, opened for "murder and criminal association linked to a terrorist organization", was handed over to anti-terrorist judges Jean-Louis Bruguiere and Jean-Francois Ricard, the sources said.

French courts have jurisdiction to investigate crimes committed against French nationals abroad.

The French victim, 30-year-old Marion Cintia Subervielle, was married to a Spanish national and worked at Spain's national library.

She, her husband and their 11-month-old daughter lived in Alcala de Henares in the Madrid suburbs, the starting point for the four commuter trains targeted in the bomb blasts.

The inquiry will allow French investigating magistrates to more easily exchange information with their Spanish counterparts about the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group (GICM), thought to be responsible for the bombings.

The GICM is also believed to be behind the suicide bombings in Casablanca in May 2003, which killed 45 people.

French judges are also running an inquiry into the Casablanca attacks. So far, six men who are suspected GICM members have been placed under formal investigation in connection with the Morocco bombings.

Sources close to the investigation said that no link has yet been made between the six men and the Madrid attacks.

© AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article