French hostages’ driver sues US for torture

5th January 2005, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, Jan 4 (AFP) - Muhamed al-Jundi, the Syrian driver of two French journalists taken hostage in Iraq in August, filed suit at a Paris court Tuesday alleging torture and mistreatment by the US army.

PARIS, Jan 4 (AFP) - Muhamed al-Jundi, the Syrian driver of two French journalists taken hostage in Iraq in August, filed suit at a Paris court Tuesday alleging torture and mistreatment by the US army.

"The suit is against members of the US armed forces in Iraq who were guilty of mistreating me, who tortured me, who threatened to kill me," he said.

Jundi, 47, was captured with reporters Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot on August 20 south of Baghdad and found in a house in Fallujah on November 12 when US troops invaded the city.

The two Frenchmen were released on December 21.

The driver is a member of the Baath party of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. He is represented by a veteran lawyer, Jacques Verges, who has made a name for taking on controversial cases.

Verges said that Jundi has the right to present the suit at the Paris courts because after his release he was flown out of Baghdad under French protection.

Announcing his intention to file suit last month, Verges said his client was beaten by the US troops who found him at Fallujah.

He said Jundi was tortured with electric shocks and subjected to mock executions by the US soldiers.

In press conferences after his release Jundi made no mention of his alleged mistreatment.

He told AFP that he had put off the decision to file suit in order not to endanger the lives of Chesnot and Malbrunot while they were still held hostage.

© AFP

Subject: French News

0 Comments To This Article