French diver dies after suspected shark attack in Seychelles

2nd August 2011, Comments 1 comment

A French tourist diving in the Seychelles died after a possible shark attack, officials said Tuesday.

The 36-year-old had been deep-sea diving in Anse Lazio in the arichipelago's Praslin isle on Monday, police spokesman Jean Toussaint told AFP.

"Other tourists on the beach tried to help him, but he died as his injuries were serious," Toussaint said, adding: "The injuries looked like a shark bite."

An autopsy was to be conducted Tuesday to determine the exact cause of death, which some officials said could have been as a result of being cut by a boat propeller.

Shark attacks are rare in the idyllic Indian Ocean archipelago.

"I have been diving for the last 40 years and I have never encountered any problems. Sharks are actually very rare because they are hunted for their meat and fins," said Michel Gardette, a development official in Praslin.

"Seychelles is one of the safest countries for diving," he added.

The 115-island Indian Ocean archipelago is a popular top-end tourist destination, with some villa accommodation costing as much as 10,000 euros per night.

© 2011 AFP

1 Comment To This Article

  • posted:

    on 17th August 2011, 18:31:59 - Reply

    I find it disgusting that, humans feel like they rule the earth, that they got to go hunting down this shark.
    End of the day the shark lives there in that ocean, were the visitors not them. You dont want to be attacked or killed ether dont go in or take better percausions.
    leave the shark alone