France's Hollande expresses 'horror' over 'despicable' Beirut blasts

12th November 2015, Comments 0 comments

French President Francois Hollande on Thursday condemned a "despicable" twin bomb attack claimed by the Islamic State group against a Beirut stronghold of the Shiite Hezbollah movement that killed 41 people.

"The president of the republic expresses his indignation and horror after the attack that killed several dozen people and wounded more than 100 this afternoon in the Burj al-Barajneh neighbourhood of Beirut," he said in a statement issued by the presidency.

"The French share in the national mourning of the Lebanese. France is more than ever committed to peace, unity and stability in Lebanon," Hollande said.

The Lebanese army said the attacks were carried out by two suicide bombers and that the body of a third, who had failed to detonate his explosive device, had been found at the scene of the second blast.


© 2015 AFP

0 Comments To This Article