France says no more of its nationals held hostage in Algeria

19th January 2013, Comments 0 comments

France said Saturday that no more of its nationals were being held hostage in Algeria by Islamist gunmen holed up with an unknown number of foreign captives at a desert gas plant.

Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on France 3 television that a Frenchman had been killed in the attack and other captured French nationals had been freed.

Le Drian said he could not confirm that a French national, who he said used the surname Le Guen, was among the attackers at the Algerian gas plant but that he expected to find out soon.

He said Le Guen had been in neighbouring Mali for the past several weeks.

The French national killed in the assault has been named as Yann Desjeux, a former special forces soldier who was also the co-owner of a restaurant in the southwestern beach town of Anglet.


© 2013 AFP

0 Comments To This Article