France says airstrikes against Libya to continue

24th March 2011, Comments 0 comments

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Thursday that coalition airstrikes against Libya had been a "success" and would continue, while denying civilians had been targeted.

"We will continue with the airstrikes," Juppe told RTL radio, adding that the strikes were "only targeting military sites and nothing else."

He said the strikes were a "success" and would "continue as long as necessary."

Juppe insisted the operation was aimed at protecting the civilian population from attacks by forces loyal to strongman Moamer Kadhafi and denied reports that the airstrikes had killed civilians, saying "it is the exact opposite."

The foreign minister added that France was in favour of handing over responsibility for implementing a UN-approved "no-fly" zone to NATO.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article