France: 'No evidence' Afghan attack targeted French minister

18th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

France said it had seen no evidence that an attack on the Afghan defence ministry Monday was an attempt to kill the French defence minister, as has been claimed by the Taliban.

Defence Minister Gerard Longuet was in Afghanistan at the time of Monday's attack, but was in Bagram airbase more than 40 kilometres (24 miles) outside Kabul and not in the defence ministry, his office in Paris told AFP.

"There is no evidence that he was the target," an official said.

Earlier Monday, a suicide bomber in army uniform entered the Afghan defence ministry but was shot before he was able to detonate his explosive vest. The Taliban claimed that Longuet had been the target of the attack.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article