Father, daughter die in Paris blaze afterEDF cut power

20th August 2004, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, Aug 20 (AFP) - A father and his six-year-old daughter died in a fire caused by a candle after the power supply to their home near Paris was cut off because of unpaid bills, officials and the power company said Friday.

PARIS, Aug 20 (AFP) - A father and his six-year-old daughter died in a fire caused by a candle after the power supply to their home near Paris was cut off because of unpaid bills, officials and the power company said Friday.

"The inquiry makes it clear that a candle was at the origin of the blaze," Patrick Braouezec, the mayor of Saint-Denis, said in a statement in which he voiced his anger.

"Lit because of a fear of the dark by the youngest children, it set alight to the beds while they were sleeping."

Energy supplier EDF said that it "regretted" the incident, which occurred overnight Wednesday at the second-floor flat in Saint-Denis, a working-class suburb north of Paris.

An EDF spokesman told AFP the family had had their power supply ensured for more than a year after being identified as needing state aid.

"The gas and electricity was cut off on August 12 after having maintained the minimum service and after establishing that there was no improvement in their debt," he added.

The 53-year-old father and his daughter died of smoke inhalation. The rest of the family of Congolese origin, the mother and three other children, were treated in hospital.

A police source confirmed that the fire began in a child's bedroom.

© AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article