Eurostar rail resumes after man falls to his death

18th October 2011, Comments 1 comment

Eurostar rail services resumed late Monday after earlier being suspended when a man fell to his death from one of the high-speed trains.

A message on the company's website late Monday confirmed that "following an earlier incident on the high speed line in the UK, Eurostar services are now running subject to delays."

Police confirmed that the man was an Albanian national who had been refused entry to Britain and was returning voluntarily to the European mainland.

The 22-year-old fell from the 17:04 (16:04 GMT) London to Brussels service in Cheriton, Kent, at around 17:50, according to British Transport Police (BTP).

"The incident is now being treated as non-suspicious and officers are working to establish the full circumstances leading up to his death," a BTP spokesman said.

"The man's body has been recovered to William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Kent."

The train was taken out of service and the line reopened at 22:09 following a police investigation.

Conservative MEP Richard Ashworth was on board and said that passengers were stranded for around three hours before returning to Ashford station, from where they boarded a connecting service back to London.

"It was standing room only, and we finally got back to London at about 22:30," he explained.

© 2011 AFP

1 Comment To This Article

  • Salil Kumar posted:

    on 18th October 2011, 23:08:11 - Reply

    Its really sad for the person's family. May his soul rest in peace. Unfortunately I was travelling back from Paris that evening by the 19.13 hrs train to London and no one gave us any information until 8.20 pm, even the train manage said we are unaware of the problem why we are stuck here in Paris. But at a later stage this was announced and the passengers were offered to change their tickets for the next date. I