Egypt 'rules out terror' in Flash Airlines crash

1st June 2004, Comments 0 comments

CAIRO, May 30 (AFP) - Egyptian investigators have ruled out an attack or a tail fin failure in their probe into a crash which killed 148 people off the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in January, representatives of the families of the French victims said Sunday.

CAIRO, May 30 (AFP) - Egyptian investigators have ruled out an attack or a tail fin failure in their probe into a crash which killed 148 people off the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in January, representatives of the families of the French victims said Sunday.

Marc Chernet, president of the association of the relatives of the 134 French tourists on the Flash Airlines flight, met for more than three hours with the head of the Egyptian investigation team, Chaker Qelada.

"In general terms the information which we were given formally confirmed what we knew previously such as the hypotheses of an attack or a loss of control of the rear of the plane have been ruled out," he told AFP.

"These points were reaffirmed and documented," he said.

While Qelada refused to give them a transcript from the airplane's cockpit voice recorder and information from its technical data recorder, Chernet said his promise to publish by the end of October a preliminary report would be helpful to plan their legal action.

While he had concerns at the beginning, Chernet said he now had confidence the Egyptian investigators would do a thorough and professional investigation into the crash.

Chernet is part of a team of five victims' relatives, five lawyers and two aviation experts who arrived here Friday for talks with Egyptian officials. The delegation is due to visit Sharm on Monday.

The Egyptian investigators have yet to establish the cause of the crash. Investigators flew to France last week to test their theories on a flight simulator.

© AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article