Egypt arrests suspect in 2009 bazaar bombing

12th June 2011, Comments 0 comments

Egypt's security services have detained a man suspected of having carried out a bomb attack at a famed Cairo bazaar that killed a French teenager in 2009, a security official told AFP on Sunday.

National security forces captured Khaled Mahmud Abulkheir in Beni Sueif, south of the capital. "He is being held for 15 days pending investigation," the official said.

Abulkheir had been on the run since the 2009 attacks that went off outside a hotel across the square from the Hussein mosque, one of Egypt's oldest places of worship, killing a 17-year-old French girl.

Abulkheir is thought to have been in hiding out in Gaza since the attack.

He was recognised by Egyptian authorities on Saturday as he entered the country from Gaza. Security services then followed him to Beni Sueif where he was detained at his parents house, the official said.

The 2009 blast also ripped through a square lined with cafes and restaurants in Khan al-Khalili, one of the capital's main tourist attractions, and wounded 25 people.


© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article