Design fault blamed for QM2 walkway deaths

14th May 2004, Comments 0 comments

SAINT-NAZAIRE, France, May 13 (AFP) - The collapse last year of a walkway on the world's largest luxury liner Queen Mary 2 that killed 15 people was due to a technical problem, public prosecutors in western France said Thursday.

SAINT-NAZAIRE, France, May 13 (AFP) - The collapse last year of a walkway on the world's largest luxury liner Queen Mary 2 that killed 15 people was due to a technical problem, public prosecutors in western France said Thursday.

"There were a design problem with the walkway," prosecutor Pierre-Marie Block told a press conference, presenting the conclusions of a report drafted by three experts about the deadly November 15 accident.

Block explained that the gangway connecting the deck of the massive cruise ship to the quayside lacked diagonal support beams, causing it to collapse. He said the number of people on the walkway at the time was not a factor.

The accident, which took place in the shipyards in the western French port of Saint-Nazaire while the Queen Mary 2 was still undergoing offshore testing, also left 28 people injured.

The 150,000-tonne ocean liner officially entered service on January 12 with her maiden voyage from Southampton, England to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, followed by a series of Caribbean cruises and a trip to Rio de Janeiro.

The 17-story ship sailed past the Statue of Liberty and into New York harbor for the first time last month.

© AFP

Subject: French news

 

0 Comments To This Article