Deschamps stays with Monaco

4th June 2004, Comments 0 comments

MONACO, June 4 (AFP) - Monaco coach Didier Deschamps revealed Friday he turned down the job at Juventus to stay with the Champions League finalists until 2007.

MONACO, June 4 (AFP) - Monaco coach Didier Deschamps revealed Friday he turned down the job at Juventus to stay with the Champions League finalists until 2007.

Deschamps had been linked with the Chelsea and Juventus jobs - filled by Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello - after Monaco's Champions League final defeat to Porto.

But he revealed he had been offered the job at Juventus.

"If I'd really wanted to I would be the Juve coach now," he said. "But I didn't go for personal reasons."

He said he had not stayed in the tax-haven for more money.

"I didn't prolong my contract for more money. What interested me was the sporting challenge," he said.

He had also been talked about as a possible replacement to Jacques Santini who announced Thursday he was leaving as France coach after Euro 2004 to manage Tottenham.

"This puts an end to the rumours and proves our ambitions," club president Pierre Sava said.

Earlier this week the club was able to announce a EUR 50 million cash injection by new backers to wipe out Monaco's debts which secured the green light from the league's financial watchdog to be able to buy new players.

They had been banned from dipping into the transfer market for a year.Deschamps said the fact Monaco was able to enter the transfer market again had played a part in him staying.

But he agreed that Real Madrid's on-loan striker Fernando Morientes, Porto's on-loan defender Hugo Ibarra, midfielder Edouard Cisse, reserve goalkeeper Tony Sylva and Croatian striker Dado prso were leaving.

He said he hoped to hang onto Ludovic Giuly who was being chased by Barcelona but expected midfield partner Jerome Rothen to go to Paris St Germain.

© AFP

Subject: French news

 

0 Comments To This Article