Death call for Yemenis convicted of Frenchsuper tanker bombing

11th October 2004, Comments 0 comments

SANAA, Oct 10 (AFP) - Yemen's public prosecutor demanded Sunday that five Yemenis convicted of the 2002 bombing of the French super tanker Limburg be sentenced to death, at the opening of an appeal hearing here.

SANAA, Oct 10 (AFP) - Yemen's public prosecutor demanded Sunday that five Yemenis convicted of the 2002 bombing of the French super tanker Limburg be sentenced to death, at the opening of an appeal hearing here.  

Omar Said Hassan Jarallah, Fawzi Yahya Hababi, Mohammad Said al-Amari, Fawzi al-Wajih and fugitive Yasser Ali Salem al-Madari, who were sentenced to 10 years in jail on August 28, should be sentenced to death for "taking part in an action which led to the death of a crew member," the prosecutor's representative said.  

He told the court that Madari, who was tried in absentia, had "set up an armed gang with the aim of perpetrating criminal and terrorist acts that are detrimental to the interests of the state."  

The court is also looking into the appeals of 10 other Yemenis sentenced at the same time for the Limburg bombing and other attacks. One was condemned to death for killing a policeman, while the others received sentences ranging from three to 10 years for forging documents and for attacks against foreign targets.  

Two were also sentenced to 10 years in jail for the Limburg bombing, but the prosecution did not demand capital punishment for them at Sunday's hearing.  

The convicts, aged between 23 and 27, had been accused of forming an armed group to undermine security in Yemen through attacks including the bombing of the Limburg as it prepared to enter Ash-Shir port off Yemen's southeastern coast in October 2002.  

One Bulgarian crew member was killed and 12 other crew were wounded when an explosives-laden boat rammed the tanker and blew up.  

The prosecution also demanded the death sentence for another convict, Fawaz Yahya al-Rabei, who is wanted by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and is believed to be the ringleader of the whole group.  

"There is evidence of his (Rabei's) participation in the murder of a Yemeni policeman," the prosecutor's representative said.  

The August 28 sentences were contested by both the defence, which said they were unjust, and the prosecution, which said they were too lenient.  

The hearing, which was suspended for about 15 minutes on Sunday when the convicts protested at the prosecution's call for harsher punishment, will resume on November 27.    

Yemen, at the request of Washington, has been cracking down on suspected members of Al-Qaeda since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States for which the terror network was blamed, and has received US help in fighting the militants.

 

© AFP

Subject: French News

0 Comments To This Article