Czechs to urge removal of French breast implants: report
Czech health authorities intend to recommend that up to 2,000 Czech women who received now-banned French breast implants have them removed, public broadcaster Czech Television reported Thursday.
"The health ministry will issue a recommendation Friday to the women who have these implants to have them removed," Czech TV reported following a meeting of health ministry officials, doctors and health insurers.
The Czech pharmaceuticals market watchdog SUKL said it had registered no "undesirable events" linked to the faulty French-made Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) brand implants as yet.
French officials have said that cancer, including 16 cases of breast cancer, has been detected in 20 French women with the implants but have insisted there is no proven link with the disease.
Fears over the implants spread globally last month after French health authorities advised 30,000 women to have their PIP implants removed because of the increased risk of rupture.
Between 300,000 and 400,000 women in 65 countries from Europe to Latin America are believed to have implants made with industrial-grade silicone gel PIP used to cut its costs.
Czech health authorities are also "planning a special system of checks for the women who will decide to keep the implants", Czech TV said Thursday.
The country's largest health insurer VZP has signalled it will pay the costs of the removal for breast cancer survivors but not for women who had the implants for cosmetic purposes, it reported.
© 2012 AFP