Czech ministry urges removal of French implants: report
The Czech health ministry said on Friday that up to 2,000 Czech women who received French breast implants that have sparked a global health scare should have them removed, the CTK news agency reported.
"The ministry respects the recommendation of experts saying the women should have the faulty French-made implants removed," the agency quoted the ministry's spokesman Vlastimil Srsen as saying.
Fears over the implants spread around the world last month after French health authorities advised 30,000 women to have their PIP implants removed because of an increased risk of rupture.
Between 300,000 and 400,000 women in 65 countries from Europe to Latin America are believed to have implants made with sub-standard silicone gel PIP used to cut its costs.
The Czech pharmaceuticals market watchdog SUKL said it had registered no "undesirable events" linked to the French-made Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) brand implants as yet.
French officials have said that cancer, including 16 cases of breast cancer, has been detected in 20 French women with the implants but have insisted there is no proven link with the disease.
Czech health authorities are also "planning a special system of checks for the women who will decide to keep the implants", the public broadcaster Czech TV said on Thursday.
Srsen said the coverage of the replacements would be discussed with health insurers.
The country's largest health insurer, the state-run VZP, said it would pay the costs of the removal for breast cancer survivors but not for women who had the implants for cosmetic purposes.
"The insurer covers this surgery only for health reasons, not for aesthetic purposes," VZP spokesman Jiri Rod told AFP.
© 2012 AFP