Coupet still eyeing No. 1 spot on France squad

8th August 2006, Comments 0 comments

LYON, Aug 7, 2006 (AFP) - Lyon goalkeeper Gregory Coupet is determined to win back his place in France's starting line-up after losing out to old rival Fabien Barthez at the World Cup.

LYON, Aug 7, 2006 (AFP) - Lyon goalkeeper Gregory Coupet is determined to win back his place in France's starting line-up after losing out to old rival Fabien Barthez at the World Cup.

Coupet told Lyon's official television station OLTV that he does not want to be No.2 any more — but will accept what ever coach Raymond Domenech decides when he names his squad on Wednesday for an August 15 friendly with Bosnia.

"I can't imagine being in the France squad without being No.1 but we'll just have to wait and see what happens," Coupet said.

"I'm happy to represent France and be in the squad," said Coupet. "The only way they'll get me out is if they drop me.

"If I don't get the call it's because they don't think I can do the job any more or because I disappointed during the World Cup."

Coupet was at the centre of a spectacular bust-up with Domenech shortly before the finals, when he stormed out of France's pre-tournament training camp following the coach's announcement that Barthez would be No.1.

The Lyon keeper had been No.1 for most of the preceding two years and was furious after losing out to Barthez at the 11th hour.

But Coupet's route back into the starting line-up could be clear as Barthez has still not signalled his intentions with speculation that the flamboyant 35-year-old may retire.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article