Chirac condemns Sharm el-Sheikh bombings

25th July 2005, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, July 23 (AFP) - French President Jacques Chirac Saturday condemned the deadly bombings in Sharm el-Sheikh and reiterated France's "absolute determination" to fight against the "scourge" of global terrorism.

PARIS, July 23 (AFP) - French President Jacques Chirac Saturday condemned the deadly bombings in Sharm el-Sheikh and reiterated France's "absolute determination" to fight against the "scourge" of global terrorism.

In a statement issued as he was flying back from Madagascar, Chirac voiced France's "profound solidarity" with the Egyptian people and President Hosni Mubarak and conveyed his "most sorrowful condolences" to the victims' families.

The French leader "vigorously condemns these attacks and reaffirms France's absolute determination to fight this scourge of terrorism which nothing could justify," the statement said.

Chirac later called Mubarak "to express his condolences, solidarity and friendship in the ordeal Egypt is going through after the terrible attacks," his spokesman Jerome Bonnafont said.

"He told him that France stands by Egypt's side and that he can be counted on if needed," he added.

French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin sent a message to Mubarak offering "any help you might judge necessary, particularly in the medical field".

He emphasised that "the fight against terrorism requires from all states mobilisation, vigilance and reinforced cooperation."

France's Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said that at this stage there did not appear to be any French victims in the bombings which killed at least 83 people, including foreign tourists.

Douste-Blazy said he would confer on Saturday with British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw in the wake of the July 7 bombings in London and Thursday's terror scare for talks on better cooperation among intelligence services.

The French foreign minister said the "future of democracies" was at stake.

"I don't know of any god that could explain why children in Baghdad and innocent people in Sharm el-Sheikh are being blown up," Douste-Blazy told France Inter radio.

Douste-Blazy said in a separate radio interview that there were no known French victims in the attacks but cautioned that many bodies had not yet been identified.

He had earlier asked any French nationals in Sharm el-Sheikh to report to French authorities at the scene, and urged citizens to "exercise the greatest caution" if travelling to Egypt in the coming days.

The foreign ministry set up a crisis cell and a hotline number for those seeking information about loved ones vacationing in Egypt.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article