Chabal cleared over dangerous tackle charge
16 October 2007, PARIS (AFP) - French forward Sebastien Chabal was cleared on Monday night of a dangerous tackle charge by the Rugby World Cup disciplinary commission.
16 October 2007
PARIS (AFP) - French forward Sebastien Chabal was cleared on Monday night of a dangerous tackle charge by the Rugby World Cup disciplinary commission.
Chabal had been cited for an alleged dangerous tackle on England second-row Simon Shaw during France's 14-9 semi-final loss on Saturday. He can now play in France's match for third place against Argentina on Friday.
Judicial officer Professor Lorne Crerar determined that the actions of Chabal in the tackle on Shaw in the second minute of the second half "could not of themselves be construed to be an act of foul play," a RWC statement said.
After examining video evidence and explanations from France's defence coach David Ellis, Crerar found it "difficult to envisage, in the momentum of the tackle, what else Mr Chabal could have done."
Any suspension of Chabal could have posed problems for the French team which has already lost experienced second-rower Fabien Pelous through injury.
France centre Yannick Jauzion and prop Olivier Milloud will also miss the Argentina match because of injury, the French team management said Monday.
Subject: French news