CORRECTED: Man wanted in France arrested Italy with bomb kit: report

3rd October 2010, Comments 0 comments

Police in Italy have arrested a man of Algerian origin wanted in France who was picked up close to the central train station in Naples allegedly with a bomb-making kit, ANSA news agency reported Sunday.

The 28-year-old man, for whom a European arrest warrant had been issued, was arrested on Saturday and was to be extradited to France, it said. The report did not give details of the warrant.

Italian police had trailed and filmed the man for three days until they moved in on him. They said he had arrived in the southern Italian city in early September and visited two local mosques.

Investigators also seized a computer and mobile phone, and the counterterrorism prosecuting authority had opened an investigation, the report said.

The US State Department appeared poised to issue a formal alert Sunday telling Americans traveling in Europe to remain vigilant of possible terror strikes.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article