Bruni apologises for interview blunder
France's new first lady Carla Bruni was forced to issue a public apology after she compared a magazine that attacked President Nicolas Sarkozy to the wartime pro-Nazi press
PARIS, February 13, 2008 - France's new first lady Carla Bruni was forced
to issue a public apology Wednesday after she compared a magazine that
attacked President Nicolas Sarkozy to the wartime pro-Nazi press.
In her debut interview published Wednesday, Bruni rounded on the Nouvel
Observateur for an online article reporting that the president text-messaged
his ex-wife offering to call off his wedding to Bruni.
"The Nouvel Observateur has joined the ranks of the gossip press. If this
kind of site had existed during the war, what would have happened with the
denunciation of the Jews?" Bruni said in the interview with L'Express magazine.
Following a complaint from the Nouvel Observateur -- which is being sued by
Sarkozy, but insists its stands by its story -- L'Express printed an apology
from the first lady on its website:
"I wrongly compared the methods used by websites to those of the
collaborationist press. If I offended anyone, I am extremely sorry," Bruni
"I just wanted to say how much I dislike these personal attacks, which
cheapen information. And the potential danger that they represent."
The Nouvel Observateur's managing editor Michel Labro had responded angrily
on the Rue89 website: "You do not play with that kind of statement," he said,
calling Bruni's analysis "mindblowing, pretty incredible and pathetic", "quite
Sarkozy filed a lawsuit against the Nouvel Observateur last week after the
affiliated website nouvelobs.com reported he had messaged his ex-wife Cecilia,
who he divorced in October, saying: "If you come back, I'll call it all off."
Sarkozy, 53, tied the knot with the 40-year-old Italian former supermodel
on February 2 after a whirlwind two-month romance.