At least six French dead in Morocco attack: minister
At least six French citizens were among those killed in a bomb attack on a tourist cafe in Morocco and seven more were wounded, French Interior Minister Claude Gueant said on Friday.
"At the moment, with the information we have, there are reportedly, and I say this with reserve, six French nationals who died and seven who were wounded," Gueant told journalists.
A French government source earlier gave the same death toll, but said 10 French citizens had been hurt in the blast, which ripped through the crowded eatery on the Jamaa el-Fna, a popular square in the historic city of Marrakesh.
Moroccan authorities have said 15 people were killed in Thursday's blast.
Morocco is a former French protectorate and still a hugely popular tourist destination. Reports from within Morocco have spoken of up to eight French casualties among 11 foreigners slain in the explosion.
French prosecutors have opened a preliminary inquiry into the attack, and Paris has dispatched forensic investigators and anti-terrorist officers to help the Moroccan inquiry into its deadliest bombing since 2003.
© 2011 AFP