Armstrong loses doping book appeal in France

2nd July 2004, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, July 2 (AFP) - US cycling star Lance Armstrong on Friday lost his appeal against a ruling denying him the right to insert a denial against accusations of doping published in a book released last month.

PARIS, July 2 (AFP) - US cycling star Lance Armstrong on Friday lost his appeal against a ruling denying him the right to insert a denial against accusations of doping published in a book released last month.

The five-time Tour de France winner's lawyer Christian Charriere-Bournazel took action over the book "L.A. Confidential: The Secrets of Lance Armstrong" by award-winning Sunday Times journalist David Walsh and Pierre Ballester, a cycling specialist formerly with French sports daily L'Equipe, which alleges he used banned drugs.

The book focuses on statements attributed to Emma O'Reilly, a physiotherapist who worked with Armstrong from 1998-2000. O'Reilly claims Armstrong used the banned blood booster erythropoietin (EPO).

Armstrong has never tested positive for banned substances and has always strenuously denied taking any such products.

And the 32-year-old American, who launches his bid for a record sixth Tour de France title in Liege, Belgium on Saturday, said that he intends to continue fighting to clear his name.

"In my view extraordinary accusations must be followed up with extraordinary proof," Armstrong said Thursday.

"Walsh and Ballester have had four or five years working on the book, and they've still no proof.

"But I will spend however long it takes and whatever it takes to show the allegations are unfounded. I have already engaged lawyers in England and France".

 

© AFP

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article