Ammonia cloud horror at French motorway stop

25th April 2005, Comments 0 comments

MELUN, France, April 23 (AFP) - Clients at a motorway service station were choked by an ammonia cloud Saturday after a chemicals spill at a nearby industrial warehouse for frozen foods, rescue services said here.

MELUN, France, April 23 (AFP) - Clients at a motorway service station were choked by an ammonia cloud Saturday after a chemicals spill at a nearby industrial warehouse for frozen foods, rescue services said here.  

Twenty-seven people were hospitalised after being exposed to the cloud, two of them reportedly in a serious condition.  

Forty rescue services vehicles rushed to the scene near the town of Nemours south of Paris.  

The ammonia escaped into the atmosphere when a container into which the chemical was being poured broke at the frozen foods warehouse.  

The ministry for ecology and sustainable development said Saturday up to 250 kilograms of the substance may have escaped into the atmosphere during the incident that happened as new freezers were being installed at the warehouse.  

The ministry said the site, which because of its use of large amounts of the chemical, had been classed as a hazard zone, and had undergone satisfactory standard safety tests in November.

© AFP

Subject: French News

0 Comments To This Article