Al-Qaeda link proved in Frenchmen's kidnap: Mali source
Irrefutable proof that Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb was involved in the kidnap of two murdered French hostages was found at the site of an attack on the kidnappers, a Malian security source said Monday.
"There is irrefutable proof condemning the terrorists. It is AQIM who did it," said the source from northern Mali, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The same source said that "AQIM documents" had been found at the scene of an attack aimed at freeing the victims on Saturday, as well as an itinerary and two satellite phones.
According to the source, a convoy of AQIM vehicles was waiting for the hostages at the border between Mali and Niger "to secure" the escape of the kidnappers.
In Paris, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said: "It is almost certain that it was AQIM" who kidnapped the two 25-year-old Frenchmen Antoine de Leocour and Vincent Delory from a restaurant in Niger's capital on Friday night.
The hostages were killed on Saturday during a military operation by French forces on Malian territory, according to Fillon.
© 2011 AFP