Air France denies airport collapse behind A 380 delay

28th May 2004, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, May 27 (AFP) - Air France said Thursday that a delay in the delivery of the new Airbus super-jumbo A380 plane, to April 2007, was not linked to the recent fatal partial collapse of a terminal at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport.

PARIS, May 27 (AFP) - Air France said Thursday that a delay in the delivery of the new Airbus super-jumbo A380 plane, to April 2007, was not linked to the recent fatal partial collapse of a terminal at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport.

The delivery delay of the first of 10 A380 planes ordered had been planned "for a long time," the French flag carrier said in a statement.

"Air France, in complete agreement with Airbus, will take delivery of the Airbus A380s as scheduled on April 1, 2007, at the opening of satellite 3S at Roissy-Charles de Gaulle," the company said.

"The tragic accident at terminal 2E will not therefore not lead to any delay in the delivery of this aircraft," it said.

The terminal's departure area could remain closed for several months during an investigation into the causes of Sunday's accident, in which a portion of the 11-month-old ultra-modern terminal collapsed, leaving four people dead and several injured.

Other portions of the terminal could open sooner.

The decision to delay the delivery of the double-decker A380 "goes back several months," Francois Brousse, Air France communications director, told AFP.

"I think that it was even 2003," he added.

Before the announcement of the delay Wednesday, the company had spoken of receiving its first A380 in late 2006 or early 2007.

"The final delivery date was set according to what (airport operator) Aeroports de Paris told us about the delivery of the satellite 3, meaning the capacity to handle the A380 with its two levels of passenger bridges," Brousse said.

© AFP

Subject: French news


0 Comments To This Article