After arrest warrant, Kadhafi must go: France
France's Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Monday the decision of the International Criminal Court to seek the arrest of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi showed that he must stand down quickly.
Earlier, judges at the tribunal based in The Hague, agreed to issue an arrest warrant for the flamboyant strongman, in response to a request from prosecutors who had earlier indicted him on war crimes charges.
Juppe, whose government has been at the forefront of the NATO-led military campaign against Kadhafi, said the warrant "confirms that today the question is not whether Kadhafi should leave power, but when he will leave power."
"With our coalition partners, the African Union and the Arab countries we are seeking a political solution to bring about a ceasefire and an end to the military intervention," he told reporters in his hometown of Bordeaux.
Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo has charged Kadhafi, 69, his son Seif al-Islam, 39, and the head of Libyan intelligence, Abdullah al-Senussi, 62, with crimes stemming from their attempts to quash a four-month-old revolt.
© 2011 AFP