AFP's former Asia-Pacific news editor dies

21st July 2010, Comments 6 comments

AFP's former Asia-Pacific news editor Kevin McElderry died overnight after a courageous two-year battle with cancer, his wife said Wednesday. He was 44.

McElderry, one of the agency's finest writers and editors, was the Hong Kong-based news editor and deputy editor-in-chief for the Asia-Pacific region for three years from 2006.

He was diagnosed with cancer while in Hong Kong but continued to work during treatment, including after his return to Paris in 2009. He died at home in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, said his wife Ailsa.

McElderry previously worked in AFP's London and Berlin bureaus and was the deputy head of the English desk in Paris from 2004 to 2006.

He was known in the agency for his great writing style, kindness and sense of humour. He also had the rare ability to keep reporters happy while entirely recasting their copy.

He leaves his wife and two children, Sophie and Tristan.

© 2010 AFP

• Ailsa Weymes McElderry posted:

on 30th July 2010, 21:03:31 - Reply

The AFP blog is now open. It is on under Kevin McElderry.
  • Martin Emmerson posted:

on 29th July 2010, 10:11:22 - Reply

I worked with Kevin for a few years in Newcastle at North News and Pictures and to this day I can safely say he was one of the nicest colleagues I have ever had - despite his weird decision to support Newcastle United - especially coming from Nor'n Ireland.

By chance I met up with him again in 2004 when on holiday in Berlin. I was sitting in a bar when two guys sat at our table and started talking politics. They apologised and said they were journalists who worked for AFP. I asked them if they knew Kev and the next day we were meeting him for a pint in Berlin!

Very sad news about him going. He'd been keeping me up to date with events but I always feared each email from him would be the last.
  • Colin Randall posted:

on 28th July 2010, 17:01:47 - Reply

I have now posted a tribute to Kevin at my own site

and would be grateful to hear there or here from anyone who comes up with a link to an AFP book of condolences or blog where messages may be left, which I was given to understand (by Ailsa) might materialise.
  • Alywin Barton posted:

on 27th July 2010, 00:01:41 - Reply

I had the honour of calling Kevin McElderry my friend and going by how he is described in the AFP bulletin he clearly never changed from the kind and witty person he was at school. I am hugely saddened to hear of his death, i had the pleasure of sharing some communications with him in recent months and was delighted to have been able to visit him at the end of June whilst in Paris. Kevin was blessed with a wonderful caring wife in Ailsa and 2 fabulous children in Sophie and Tristan. I offer my sympathy to them as well as his parents, his twin brother Dermott, sister Oonagh and their families.
  • Colin Randall posted:

on 26th July 2010, 15:58:34 - Reply

I knew Kevin a little from his days on a news agency on Newcastle upon Tyne and again when we both worked in Paris. He was a terrific man and clearly an inspired journalist. We had a couple of e-mail exchanges during the latter stages of his illness, when he was fully aware nothing could be done for him, and his stoicism and humour were quite uplifting.
    AFP was meant to be creating an online list of condolences but I have been unable to find anything so far.
    My thoughts, too, are with Ailsa, their children and the extended family.
  • Niall Stevenson posted:

on 23rd July 2010, 21:10:55 - Reply

I am deeply saddened by the death of Kevin McElderry. I went to school with him and his twin brother Dermot both at primary school and at Portora Royal in Enniskillen, N. Ireland.
    We were close friends at school and it is hard to think that he is gone. Please pass on my condolences to Ailsa and his children as well as his brother, sister, mum and dad..
    Niall Stevenson