3 French UN troops repatriated from Lebanon after blast
France has repatriated three of the six troops injured while taking part in a UN peacekeeping force patrol in southern Lebanon, the head of the force told said Wednesday.
But Major General Alberto Asarta Cuevas, head of the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), declined to speculate who carried out Tuesday's attack on the convoy in the southern city of Sidon.
Speaking on the sidelines of a UN Security Council debate on UN peacekeeping, the general said the worst of the casualties had an eye injury but would not lose his sight.
The three most seriously injured were sent back to France on Wednesday, Asarta told AFP.
The roadside bomb had been set off by remote control with some 300 years (meters) of wire found, the general said.
© 2011 AFP