10,000 drivers to be warned

4th April 2007, Comments 0 comments

PARIS, April 4. The ministry of the interior is to send a letter to drivers who have lost half or more of their 12 driver's license points after various traffic infractions.

PARIS, April 4. The ministry of the interior is to send a letter to drivers who have lost half or more of their 12 driver's license points after various traffic infractions.

This letter, the first of its type, will be sent to over 10,000 drivers, 10,243 to be precise, holding a French driver's license.

This letter aims to warn drivers about the risk of losing their license if they do not  change their behaviour on the road. 

The letter also invites drivers who have lost a significant number of points to follow a special course which will allow them to earn some points back upon successful completion.

In the meantime, the government is still working on a website that will allow drivers to check their remaining points on line. 

As previously planned, this service will be available to all drivers in July and drivers will not need to go to the préfecture to know how many points they have left. They will, however, need to visit the préfecture one last time to retrieve their secret code. 

Today, 70 percent of the drivers with a French driver's license have all of their points. This service mostly benefits the remaining 30 percent, 12 million drivers, many of whom are Parisians. 

Parisian drivers receive 3 traffic related fines per person per year, 43 times more then residents of the Creuse. 

Copyright Expatica

Subject: French news

0 Comments To This Article