Verdicts in Madrid train bombing trial on Oct 31

10th October 2007, Comments 0 comments

10 October 2007, MADRID -(AFP) - The Spanish anti-terrorist court has set the date of October 31 to hand down verdicts on 28 suspects on trial over the 2004 Madrid train bombings, judicial sources said Wednesday.

10 October 2007

MADRID -(AFP) - The Spanish anti-terrorist court has set the date of October 31 to hand down verdicts on 28 suspects on trial over the 2004 Madrid train bombings, judicial sources said Wednesday.

The four-month trial of the suspects allegedly involved in Spain's worst ever terrorist attack which killed 191 people and injured 1,841 others ended in on July 2.

Verdicts had been expected in late October, although no date had been previously announced.

The blasts, which resulted in Europe's worst loss of life in a terror attack since the 1988 Lockerbie bombing over Scotland, were claimed in the name of Al-Qaeda.

The trial saw testimony from more than 300 witnesses during 57 sessions while all those accused protested their innocence.

The top suspects face sentences of up to 40,000 years each for the deaths and for membership of a terrorist organisation, although under Spanish law the longest jail term anyone can actually serve for terrorist crimes is 40 years.

Court prosecutor Javier Zaragoza said in July that some of the 28, mainly Moroccan, suspects will likely be acquitted.

[Copyright Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article