Valencia to stage the European Grand Prix next year
1 June 2007 , VALENCIA - Valencia will stage the European Grand Prix starting next year after Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone signed a seven-year contract with event organizers Friday.
1 June 2007
VALENCIA - Valencia will stage the European Grand Prix starting next year after Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone signed a seven-year contract with event organizers Friday.
The Valencia regional government confirmed that Ecclestone signed the agreement with Valmor Sport, which owns the rights to organize the street circuit race. The regional government has a 25 percent stake in the private business.
The agreement to bring a second F1 race to Spain _ after the Spanish GP in Barcelona _ was originally announced on May 10. Ecclestone said at the time that the contract would only be signed once the outcome of the regional and municipal elections were confirmed.
Valencia regional President Francisco Camps and Mayor Rita Barbera _ who are both in the opposition Popular Party and spent two years negotiating the agreement with Ecclestone _ were re-elected on May 27.
Reports said Valmor would pay €26 million (US$35.17 million) annually to Ecclestone for the rights to stage the race, an event previously held in Nuerburgring, Germany. The Valencia race is likely to be held in August.
The street circuit, designed by German racetrack architect Hermann Tilke, will be based around Valencia's port, which is currently staging the America's Cup sailing event.
[Copyright AP with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news