Two more suspects charged
8 April 2004, MADRID - Two more suspects have been charged in connection with the Madrid bombings which killed 191 people, it was reported Thursday.
8 April 2004
MADRID - Two more suspects have been charged in connection with the Madrid bombings which killed 191 people, it was reported Thursday.
The two men, both Moroccans, appeared before a judge Wednesday and were provisionally charged.
There are now 17 people, including 13 Moroccans, in prison facing similar charges.
Police were reportedly hunting for another safe house in or around Madrid where others may be hiding.
The men who appeared before National Court Judge Juan del Olmo on Wednesday were Rachid Adli, arrested near Madrid on Tuesday, and Abdelilah el Fuad, arrested Friday in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta in North Africa.
EFE quoted sources close to the investigation who said Fuad had been at a house where the bombers are believed to have prepared the devices and activated the mobile phones that triggered the explosions on the trains.
He is also said to have bought a car used to go to Asturias to collect explosives for the 11 March attacks.
Adli is reported to have said he met Jamal Zougam, one of the key suspects in custody, and Jamal Ahmidan, another suspected leader who died on Saturday.
Ahmidan was killed in a "collective suicide" when police surrounded an apartment in the Leganes area of Madrid where he and other suspects were staying.
Among the dead were the attack's alleged mastermind Sarhane ben Abdelmajid Fakhet and Abdennabi Kounjaa, both named on international arrest warrants.
Police are reported to have only just identified the remains of a seventh suspect among the debris.
Investigators searching the wreckage found cash, assorted documents, maps and "sufficient material to carry out further attacks, a new March 11", newspaper reports said.
Police are now trying to find a second safe house where others involved in the bombings or their accomplices may be hiding.
El Mundo and El Pais newspapers said investigators believe the safe house may be in or near the Spanish capital.
Spain has stepped up its security in the wake of the bomb attacks and raids on terror suspects.
Armed police are patrolling Madrid's metro system and the army is guarding key road and rail links.
Police are still hunting for remaining members of a terror cell wanted for the Madrid train bombs, including three named on an international arrest warrant: Moroccan brothers Mohammed and Rachid Oulad Akcha and Moroccan Said Berraj.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news