Two critical, four dead, infood poisoning outbreak
4 October 2004, PALENCIA – Two elderly people were in a serious condition Monday after suffering from food poisoning in an outbreak which has killed four others.
4 October 2004
PALENCIA – Two elderly people were in a serious condition Monday after suffering from food poisoning in an outbreak which has killed four others.
Medical sources said one of the elderly patients was "very serious" and the other was said to be in a stable but serious condition since Saturday.
The outbreak happened at La Residencia San Marcos de Paredes de Nava, a retirement home near Palencia in north-west Spain.
The local council has taken the unusual step of declaring three days of mourning, according to council sources.
Jose Maria Romo, medical director of the Sacyl de Palencia Hospital in Palencia, said the four people had died as a result of extreme dehydration caused by vomiting, fever and kidney and heart problems.
He said he believed they were infected by a lentil pure which was part of their meal on Saturday.
Twelve of those who ate the pure began to feel bad and were admitted to a local medical centre, then to hospital.
Medical staff worked through the night to try to treat the patients.
An inspection was being carried out at the residential home Monday.
But Isidro Buron, head of medical services in Castilla y Leon, the region in which the tragedy happened, said it appeared the cooking facilities were in correct order and its fridges also complied with regulations.
A full investigation has been launched.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news