Two British tourists critical after gas blast
20 December 2004, TENERIFE-Two British tourists have been seriously injured in an explosion at the apartment where they were staying on the holiday island of Tenerife.
20 December 2004
TENERIFE-Two British tourists have been seriously injured in an explosion at the apartment where they were staying on the holiday island of Tenerife.
The couple, who have not been identified, were involved in the blast in the resort of Los Gigantes shortly after 9am local time (8am GMT).
Police sources said it appeared the blast had been caused by a gas leak.
The man, who is in a critical condition, was taken by helicopter to the Hospital Universitario Canarias.
The woman, who is also in a serious condition, was taken to the Hospital de La Candelaria.
A blaze started at the apartment in which the couple were staying.
Firefighters quickly brought it under control.
Meanwhile, a 70-year-old Finish man was drowned off the beach of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
The tragedy happened as the man, who has not been named, was swimming in the sea near the town of Adeje, which is in the south of the island.
Emergency services tried to resuscitate the man, but he had drowned.
The accident happened at about 11am local time.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news