Tourists evacuated for fire at Sagrada Familia, no injuries
Thousands of tourists were evacuated Tuesday after a fire broke out inside Barcelona's Sagrada Familia church but there were no injuries, officials and media said.
Sagrada Familia Foundation president Joan Rigol told Catalan television station TV3 that a "disturbed" man had been detained on suspicion of starting the fire in the unfinished landmark.
Between 3,000 and 4,000 tourists were reportedly evacuated from Antoni Gaudi's masterpiece of intricate mosaics and facades, which was consecrated by Pope Benedict XVI on November 7 last year.
"There was more smoke than fire, the fire was less serious than we thought at first," a town hall spokesman said, adding that the tourists were evacuated as a precaution.
© 2011 AFP