Three killed as house collapses

10th December 2007, Comments 0 comments

Three people have died after a four-storey house collapsed in Santander on Saturday evening.

10 December 2007

MADRID - Three people were known Sunday to have died after a four-storey house collapsed the previous evening in the northern Spanish town of Santander, local authorities said.

They said the bodies of a 70-year-old woman, her 50-year-old son and a third person initially reported as missing were all recovered by salvage teams on Sunday.

A pillar damaged during illegal, poor quality building work was believed to have caused the collapse, according to local mayor Inigo de la Serna, who spoke to a local radio station.

Four other buildings in the district close to the town hall had already collapsed over the past three years, leaving several people injured. Authorities were blamed for slow renovation work.

[Copyright dpa 2007]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article