Three Italian, two Spanish tourists among dead in Tunisia attack
Three Italians and two Spaniards were among 17 foreign tourists killed Wednesday in a brazen gun attack on Tunisia's national museum, their governments said.
The Italian foreign ministry gave a toll of three dead and six injured and said the families of the victims had been notified.
Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said two Spanish citizens had lost their lives in the attack, but did not say whether any Spaniards were injured.
He said the victims were part of a group of tourists who had disembarked from two cruise ships to visit the Tunisian capital Tunis. One of the ships had 60 Spanish nationals on board, the other 30.
"I can't rule out that there will be more dead or injured," the minister said at a press conference broadcast live on television.
In Poland, the speaker of the lower house, Radoslaw Sikorski, said "very likely seven Polish people were killed". The country's foreign ministry only confirmed 11 injured.
Colombia's President Juan Manuel Santos for his part confirmed two Colombian deaths.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, speaking at a press conference in Paris alongside his Tunisian counterpart, said six Frenchmen had been hurt in the attack, three of whom were "in a serious condition".
Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid however said one French tourist was among those killed.
Giving a detailed breakdown which differed from tolls given by individual countries, he said also among the dead were five Japanese, four Italians, two Colombians and one each from Australia, Poland and Spain.
The nationality of a 16th victim was not given, while the identity of the final fatality had not yet been established.
A Tunisian bus driver and a Tunisian policeman also lost their lives when gunmen stormed the National Bardo Museum.
Security forces killed two attackers and were hunting for possible accomplices, the Tunisian premier said.
© 2015 AFP