Spanish photographer held in Libya phones parents
A Spanish photographer who has been held in Libya for almost three weeks has phoned his parents for the first time to say he is being well treated in a military prison in Tripoli, Spanish radio said Sunday.
Manu Brabo said he was detained by the forces of embattled Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi for entering the country illegally and taking photographs without permission, his father, Manuel Varela, told Cadena Ser radio.
Brabo said he did not know when he might be released, Varela told the radio from his home in the northern city of Gijon.
"I asked him if he had been ill-treated or had any problem and he said no, that he was in a military prison where there were other journalists and they were talking to each other and giving encouragement to each other," Varela said.
"He was also being well fed," and was "more worried about us than about himself."
Brabo, who works for the European Pressphoto Agency, was detained on April 5 near Brega in eastern Libya with two US journalists, James Foley, a freelance reporter with GlobalPost.com, and Clare Morgana Gillis of TheAtlantic.com.
A fourth journalist, dual national Austrian-South African photographer Anton Lazarus Hammerl, went missing at the same time, but Gillis told her parents in a phone call from Libya last week he was not with the trio when they were detained.
Two prize-winning photographers, Tim Hetherington of US magazine Vanity Fair and Chris Hondros of the Getty photo agency, were killed by mortar fire on Wednesday in the besieged Libyan city of Misrata.
© 2011 AFP