Spanish parliament pays tribute to ETA victims
The Spanish parliament Sunday marked 50 years since the first deadly terror attack by Basque separatists with a tribute to victims at a ceremony attended by King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia.
On June 27, 1960, a bomb in a San Sebastian train station claimed the first official victim of the ETA campaign, a 22-month old child named Begona Urroz.
Since then, ETA has been held responsible for the deaths of another 828 people.
Last March, the Spanish parliament designated June 27 as a memorial day for victims of terror.
"It is as though the death of Begona Urroz happened yesterday... her memory will protect us from a second crime: forgetting," said Jose Bono, president of the Congress of Deputies.
"This day is an occasion to reiterate the strongest condemnation and strongest rejection of terrorist violence, which is in essence perverse, cowardly and unjustified," said King Juan Carlos.
A minute's silence was observed by the full benches of parliamentarians, along with representatives of victims' associations.
© 2010 AFP