Spanish court drops bribery case against opposition

4th August 2009, Comments 0 comments

The corruption probe against the head of the Valencia regional government has been dismissed after courts said ‘the facts do not constitute a crime’.

Madrid – A court in Spain Monday dropped a corruption probe against the head of the Valencia regional government, a senior member of the conservative opposition Popular Party.

Francisco Camps was under judicial investigation in connection with a scandal in which bribes were allegedly paid to PP members in the regional governments of Madrid and Valencia by businessmen to ensure contracts.

Camps and three other government officials in the eastern region appealed to the Valencia high court to have the investigations against them dropped.

The court Monday backed their appeal "since the facts do not constitute a crime".

PP leader Mariano Rajoy, who strongly supported Camps in recent months, hailed the court's decision as "justice" and "common sense".

The PP has denounced a campaign of "vilification" against it by the interior ministry and the Prisa media group over the scandal, which erupted in February.

The party's treasurer, Luis Barcenas, who has been questioned by judge in connection with the scandal, announced in July he was stepping down until he is "proven innocent before the courts".

The allegations do not appear to have dented the party's popularity. A poll published last week said support for the PP has surpassed that of the ruling Socialists.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article