Spanish beach evacuated after bomb hoax

16th August 2009, Comments 0 comments

Police evacuated a beach in northeastern Spain on Saturday for about an hour after receiving a warning that several bombs had been left in rucksacks which turned out to be false, officials said.

Madrid - Police evacuated a beach in northeastern Spain on Saturday for about an hour after receiving a warning that several bombs had been left in rucksacks which turned out to be false, officials said.

The incident comes one week after four small bombs rocked three restaurants and a shopping area on the resort island of Majorca, causing material damage but no injuries, following warning calls from the Basque separatist group ETA.

Police cars with loudspeakers evacuated a 3.5-kilometre (two-mile) stretch of beach and the adjacent boardwalk at the resort of Calella near Barcelona and coordened off the area, a local police spokesman said.

Police reopened the area after no explosive devices were found. Some 20,000 sunseekers were evacuated, public television TVE reported.

The Bilbao headquarters of Basque road assistance service Detente Y Ayuda (DYA) has earlier received a recorded telephone warning claiming that several bombs had been left at the beach, a spokesman said.

ETA often calls DYA to warn of its attacks. Founded half a century ago, it is blamed for the deaths of 828 people in its campaign for an independent Basque homeland encompassing parts of northern Spain and southwest France.

Calella, located some 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of Barcelona, attracts both Spanish holidaymakers and international tourists, primarily from Britain, Germany and Scandinavia.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article