Spain says ETA ceasefire not enough
Spain's interior minister, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, said Monday an ETA ceasefire declaration failed to meet expectations but was not bad news.
"If you ask me if I am calmer today, honestly I would say 'yes'. If you ask me if it is the end, I would say 'no'. If you ask me if this statement is what Spanish society was hoping for, I would say 'absolutely no'," he told a news conference.
"To put it another way: Is this bad news? No it is not." But he also said the ETA statement was not the news that many Spaniards had been hoping for of a resolution to the conflict.
© 2011 AFP