Sleeper terrorist cells'could launch attacks'
19 July 2004, MADRID – The judge in charge of the investigation into the Madrid massacre said Monday there could still be "sleeper cells" which could now become active.
19 July 2004
MADRID – The judge in charge of the investigation into the Madrid massacre said Monday there could still be "sleeper cells" which could now become active.
Judge Juan del Olmo said these supporters may have helped in the actual terrorist attacks in March.
They may not have been part of the terrorist cell which carried out the operation but instead provided logistical support.
The judge said in a submission to the Spanish parliament that many of the terrorists who helped logistical support by supplying explosives have already been arrested.
But Del Olmo added that the support cells which have not been arrested might now become active now most of the original group had been detained.
He also disclosed that the attacks were thought to have been prepared over a number of months, starting in the last quarter of 2003, when detonators and explosives were bought.
He added that between 25 February and 8 March, the terrorists bought the mobile phones which were used to activate almost all of the bombs.
Seven of the terrorists involved in the original attacks blew themselves up in a Madrid suburb on 3 April.
The attacks left 191 people dead and more than 1,500 people injured.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news