Security forces first atMadrid massacre inquiry
23 June 2004, MADRID – The Spanish security forces will be the first witnesses to appear before the inquiry into the events surrounding the terrorist attacks in Madrid, it emerged Wednesday.
23 June 2004
MADRID – The Spanish security forces will be the first witnesses to appear before the inquiry into the events surrounding the terrorist attacks in Madrid, it emerged Wednesday.
The commission, which met for the first time Wednesday, said it will start to hear evidence on 6 July.
The 15 commissioners also decided to ask the government, media and telephone companies for reports and other information relating to the days before the 11 March attacks and in the days afterwards.
The government, media and telephone companies have been given seven days to submit this information.
The inquiry has been set up to examine the events surrounding the attacks by Islamic terrorists which left 192 people dead and more than 1,500 injured.
Paulino Rivero, commission president, said the inquiry would divide witnesses into three groups.
The first will consist of police and security force witnesses, who are scheduled to appear between 6-8 July.
The second will be journalists and bosses from public and private media companies.
The third group will be politicians, including the former cabinet members and the leaders of what was the opposition Socialist party.
But a political new row blew up Wednesday over when witnesses should start giving evidence.
Rivero defended the proposal, which has been supported by the two main parties and Catalan nationalists, to start hearing from the first witnesses only once all the information had been submitted by the government, media and other sources.
But two smaller political parties, the Basque nationalists and the left-wing IU parties, wanted to hear from witnesses next week - at the same time that information was being submitted to the commission.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news