Secret reports on Madrid massacre declassified

16th September 2005, Comments 0 comments

16 September 2005, MADRID — The government is to declassify secret papers relating to the Madrid terrorist attacks in which 191 people were murdered.

16 September 2005

MADRID — The government is to declassify secret papers relating to the Madrid terrorist attacks in which 191 people were murdered.

Reports from the Spanish secret service, or National Intelligence Centre (CNI), and the Interior ministry will be handed to the judge investigating the atrocity.

The government said papers relating to the attacks on four commuter trains on 11 March last year were to be declassified at the request of Judge Juan del Olmo.

Among the material being sent to the judge are white papers prepared from December 2003 on by the Interior Ministry and the European Police Office (Europol) on the risk of an Islamist attack on Spain, as well as the Spanish police's reports on Islamist terror.

It also includes post-March 11 material, such as information on the terrorists involved and the Spanish Civil Guard's report on former miner Emilio Suarez Trashorras' role in selling them the explosives they used.

Deputy prime minister María Teresa Fernández de la Vega, who made the announcement, said the reports were released because of the "exceptional character" of the case.

But she asked that the judge adopted the "maximum degree of protection" over the information contained in the reports.

The de-classified documents also related to the mass suicide of seven terrorists responsible for the 11 March attacks.

They blew themselves up a flat in Leganes, a town near Madrid, on 3 April after being surrounded by police. A police officer was also killed.

More than 1,500 people were injured in the attacks when ten bombs went off.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article