Salmonella in roast chickens due to infected pipe
2 August 2005, MADRID – The roast chicken company which has caused a salmonella outbreak in Spain announced on Monday that the source of the epidemic is a pipe which was infected with bacteria.
2 August 2005
MADRID – The roast chicken company which has caused a salmonella outbreak in Spain announced on Monday that the source of the epidemic is a pipe which was infected with bacteria.
SADA, which is owned by Dutch multinational Nutreco, said the infected pipe distributed the sauce for the packaged chicken products which are branded Pollo Asado SADA and Pimpollo. Testing traced the bacteria to a pipe at the firm's factory in Lominchar in Toledo.
The number of recorded cases of gastroenteritis from salmonella poisoning continues to grow. By Tuesday afternoon, Spain's regions had reported a total of more than 400 cases, although the Spanish Food Safety Agency (AESA) said its epidemiological investigation had so far confirmed 120.
AESA is in the process of confirming more cases, ensuring that none is counted twice.
The health department said it had also checked 120 cases, with 30 outbreaks of salmonella.
AESA's head Ignacio Herranz said production at SADA's factory had been halted since the first cases were detected in Murcia on Thursday.
The health authorities in Castilla la Mancha said the factory's production will remain closed until the "exact causes" for the infection are known. Once the causes are identified, the authorities could move to close part or the whole factory or take other punitive action.
SADA, meanwhile, has recalled all its Pollo Asada and Pimpollo products and has started a helpline for any concerned consumers (900 200 901).
So far, the regions where consumers have been worst affected seem to be Murcia, Andalucia, Valencia, Castillo y León and Catalunya.
Patients suffer symptoms such as fever, vomiting and abdominal pain. In 90 percent of cases, say experts, gastroenteritis can be cured by drinking plenty of fluids, although in some cases patients need to be hospitalised to receive intravenous hydration.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news